Friday, March 9, 2012

Red Curry Peanut Sauce w/ Tofu and Broccoli


This dish is a-mazing!!! The peanut butter/red curry combo was something I've never had before and the flavor was so new that I savoured this dish long after I ate it.  I have been taking lots of books from the library with a ton of great recipes. I take photos of the recipes and then when I have time I try it out. I don't know which book this one came out of but I think it was about grains. This will knock your socks off if you love peanut butter and curry.

My newest projects involve experimenting with a bread maker I borrowed from a friend, and learning about the ins and outs of pressure cooking.  I'm trying to get away from eating beans from a can.  I just read somewhere that Campbells soup will be starting to use BPA free lining in all their soups. 






You will need:

4 T oil ( separated)
1/2 c peanut butter
2 T red curry paste
1 c coconut milk
2 T fish sauce (go easy on adding this -some fish sauces are VERY salty)
2 T water
2 t curry powder
1 t cumin
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 large head of broccoli, blanched
large handful of bean sprouts

1 500g pack of extra firm tofu
1/2 c of potato starch, corn starch, tapioca starch, or flour

2 c brown rice (to be cooked according to instructions)
**DO NOT put salt in until the end and taste it first. Depending on which fish sauce you use you may not need it. I made it again putting less salt than the original recipe required and it was still salty. Also you can add in 1 tsp at a time of fish sauce to make sure it doesn't get too salty.

Method:

In a medium saucepan, heat 2 T or less (not 4 T) of the oil over medium heat. Add the curry first and blend it into the oil, then add PB and cook, stirring frequently, until the PB is melted and the ingredients are well combined, 3-4 mins.
Stir in the coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a slow boil.  Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5-7 mins.  Add the water, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper and simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 3-4 mins.

Dice the tofu and put in a plastic bag with the starch or flour to coat the cubes of tofu. Add the rest of the oil, 2 T, to pan and saute for a few minutes to brown the tofu, 5-6 mins.  If it starts to burn or looks like it needs oil add more.

Set up plate with rice on the bottom, add fresh bean sprouts, tofu and then broccoli. Pour the peanut sauce over and enjoy.  You can also mix the sauce with the tofu and broccoli and then serve on rice.  It was just as good the next day. 

You can substitute the vegetables with red peppers, snow peas, snap peas, kale, spinach, etc. 




1 comment:

  1. Looks very nice. You might be interested in this post I did on fish sauce. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/fish-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete