Friday, March 9, 2012

Kamut and Broccoli Salad in Tangy Miso Dressing



I'm loving the miso!  It keeps forever in a sealed container in the fridge which is where mine has been for a long time. Yikes.  It's fermented anyway so how bad could it get?  It is one of those ingredients I don't think to throw it a dish without a recipe. It's like tamarind paste. I ALWAYS use a recipe with tamarind and I'm thinking I'll try winging it with miso before tamarind.  This again is a newish salad dressing for me as I tend to go with oil/vinegar mustardy combinations. I love the big flavours in this recipe that I also got from that grain book "The Whole Grains Cookbook" by Robin Asbell.  Fyi- I'm seeing a lot of "farro" recipes floating around. In Canada we call it spelt, in Italy they call it farro. It's another hearty grain like wheat berries and kamut.


You will need:

1 c uncooked kamut or another grain (cook according to directions)
2 T red miso
1 T grapeseed oil (or whatever you have)
1 T rice vinegar
1 T sesame oil
1 T grated ginger
1 clove garlic minced or crushed
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1 T honey or agave
2 c broccoli florets and stem, blanched
1/2 c julienned carrots
2 scallions, minced
1/2 c toasted cashews

In a bowl whisk the miso, oil and vinegar till smooth.  Whisk in the sesame oil, ginger, garlic, pepper flakes, and honey.  Pour the dressing over the cooled grain and toss to coat.  Pour dressing in salad to taste.

Sprinkle with cashews.
Eat as a main dish with a bed of wild greens underneath or pair with a veggie burger, seared tofu or a hot bowl of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment