Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Beet, Carrot & Jicama Patty on Greens

Wow I think all of these photos are blurry. Yikes. I just thank my lucky stars that I'm able to find the time to post at all. I cook way more than I post and I have a ton of backed up recipes that need to be posted so I just do what I can and blurry pictures will just have to do.

I started making a beet, carrot, jicama salad and I shredded way too much so I searched online for something to make with the tons of leftovers I had. I googled beet burgers and I found something I really liked. The toasted sesame and sunflower seeds provide a good bang factor. The best part is these are baked, the worst part at first glance is the 1/4 cup of oil. Not sure why its needed so I put in a bit less. The next time I make it I will add less.  I thought a cup or two of mashed chickpeas or another kind of bean would be a nice addition. You can't really go wrong with putting what you like in it. I was worried that they mixture wouldn't stick together when I first put it on the parchment paper but they crisped up just great. I did add an extra tablespoon of flour because I thought it looked a little too wet.  This was really good and we even froze the leftovers and they were just as tasty.  For the dressing, we had some leftover from Perfect Potato and Tomato Salad by Marika.
FYI- Jicama is a crunchy root vegetable. Brown on the outside and white on the inside.  It is a cross between a pear and a potato or a very crunchy water chestnut. Learn about it's health benefits here





I sprinkled some fried onions on it and it was even better. Those can be found at Indian stores or other places. Don't buy them in a can- too expensive and not the same.

You will need:

1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups peeled grated beets (1-2 medium beets)
2 cups grated carrots (about 4 carrots)
1/2 cup minced onion (about 1 medium onion)
*2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Butter or oil for greasing the baking sheet.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Place a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir them on the dry skillet just until lightly browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning them. Immediately remove from heat and transfer the toasted seeds to a dish to cool.
3. Return the skillet to the heat. Add the sunflower seeds and stir them on the dry skillet just until lightly browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning them. Immediately transfer them to the dish with the sesame seeds.
4. Combine the beets, carrots, and onion in a large bowl. Stir in the toasted sunflower and sesame seeds, eggs, rice, cheddar cheese, oil, flour, parsley, soy sauce or tamari, and garlic. Add cayenne and mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 patties and arrange them in rows on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the patties until brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Unless they are very large and thick, it should not be necessary to flip them.
Makes 12 patties.
Serve in a burger bun or on a bed of organic leafy greens.
*To replace one egg:
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
3 tablespoons water (or other liquid)
Stir together until thick and gelatinous.

From: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/beet-and-carrot-veggie-burgers.html#ixzz1nSItB3g2

No comments:

Post a Comment