Monday, January 16, 2012

Rustic White bean and Swiss Chard Medley


I looked in my food closet today to get some inspiration and googled a few recipes with white bean and swiss chard to get some ideas and then went ahead to create my own.  I found a few things in my fridge and used up some things I needed to get rid of. Feel free to change up any ingredients and use more or less of what you want. This is a simple dish with the natural flavors coming out and just a little tomato paste to bring it all together.

1 T coconut oil (or whatever oil you want)
2 cloves minced garlic
2 small leeks sliced-(can use onions)
1 red pepper chopped
1/2 soy chorizo from Trader Joes (or real meat chorizo/ textured vegetable protein w/ cajun seasoning)
1 bunch of organic rainbow swiss chard
2 cans of white beans (Also called cannellini)
2 T tomato paste -give or take (or tomato sauce)
1 bunch of organic rainbow swiss chard
15 cherry tomatoes I just happened to have
1/2 c water
salt and pepper to taste



Sauteed the leeks and garlic till soft on medium.
Add peppers stir for 1 minute.
Add chorizo or substitute or not.
Add chopped swiss chard and stir.
Add a 1/4 c of water to pan and put lid on to steam chard so it softens-1-2 mins.
Add white beans and stir.



I just happened to have some cherry tomatoes that were kinda old and getting shriveled so I halved them and threw them in.
 

I never seem to use up a whole can of tomato paste so i usually wrap up 1 T portions up in some parchement or wax paper and get it when I need it and defrost it right in the pan. You can also put it into an ice cube tray and pop them out and then freeze into nicer looking cubes.

Mmmmm. Stir up this delish dish and add some salt and pepper to taste.  I didn't need any salt but that was likely because the chorizo had enough in it.  Serve over brown rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment