Friday, January 27, 2012

Flourless Quinoa Chocolate Cake


Ok, this was A-mazing! Just know 2 things.
1. Use a Dutch or good quality cocoa. It was soooo chocolately good.
2. Do not use cooked quinoa that has been sitting out all day and is crusty on top. It does not get hidden in the cake, as I am reminded each time I bite into it. 
Did I make the ganache icing? No, but I didn't miss a thing because the cake rocked on its own. Who am I kidding? I'm salivating just thinking about it...
From:http://wheatfreemom.com/blog/recipe-quinoa-chocolate-cake/

Recipe courtesy of www.best-chocolate-recipes.com
2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/3 cup water
½ cup milk (I used soy and almond milk)
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup butter, melted and cooled
1 ½ cups sugar ( I used brown- could use agave or honey)
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder ( I had a free trade organic one)
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Cook the quinoa in the water. To do this, add both ingredients to a pan, then bring the mixture to a boil. At this point, put the lid on, lower the heat and simmer for approx 10 minutes. Shut off the heat and leave the pan on the burner to continue cooking slightly for an additional 10 minutes. Mix it somewhat with a fork and allow to cool completely.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare an 8 inch springform pan. I greased and lined the sides and bottom with parchment.
Using a stand mixer put the eggs, vanilla and milk in a bowl. Add 2 cups of the cooked quinoa. Combine these ingredients, then add the butter. Blend until everything is smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix.
Place the mixture into the cake pan.
Cook for approximately 50 minutes. It is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (I found the cake took longer to bake for me. With the altitude here, my times can be different)
I let the cake cool completely and once removed from the pan I covered the cake in a dark chocolate ganache.
Here is that recipe
Recipe: Ganache
½ cup whipping cream
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Put the cream into a saucepan and heat until scalding hot. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream over. Whisk until smooth. Let cool for 2 minutes and then pour over the cake.

2 comments:

  1. This is VERY similar to the recipe for the chocolate cupcakes I always make! (A recipe my sister got from her sister in law who got it from a newspaper I think . . . :-) The one I use just has some differences in quantities and calls for a baking pwdr & baking soda combo . . . Recently I made them completely dairy free. So, instead of melted butter, I used grapeseed oil and instead of cow's milk, coconut milk (the kind that comes in a milk carton, not the kind that comes in a can as that is just too thick!) I also substituted agave syrup for the sugar and just added it to the blender mix. They turned out great, which just goes to show, this recipe is super-amenable to experimentation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds even better!! I think coconut milk is a great substitute along with almond, soy or hemp milk. I forgot about the coconut milk in a box. I will pick up some of that for Silas when substituting for dairy. Thanks for the tips- I'll try it all next time.

      Delete